The restoration work of the Raja Maha Vihara in the late 19th century was made with the patronage of Kudugala Wijewardene family of Sedawatte Walawwa. Mrs Helena Wijewardana figured in such restoration work. The new shrine room was built by her and handed over to Maha Sangha on December 28, 1946. The Kelaniya Duruthu Maha Perehera was begun by her in 1927.

 

Now during the month of January every year the gloriously  colourful Duruthu Prehera takes place which is on par with the grandeur of the annual Esala Pagent of Sri Dalada Maligawa

 

Copyright 2001, TradenetSL/Cyber Trader  This page is best viewed at resolution 800x600 and  Microsoft Internet Explorer version above 4.0